View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

re: Rite. Omf has a plan.

What if we could just have all raiders that can record their shit in a 16:9 thing (preferably 720p or above) and make proper movies of us killing shit?
Need to find a way of sharing the files thoughs. (compress em to mp4 obviously)

Any thoughts?

Darsid
Traveler
Hopeless Case

Any recommendations on which program to use for recording in such a high resolution? I can give it a try all i need are some pointers.
Torwen
Oracle
Forum Troll!

I did this with Herm during TBC and Wrath - he sent me a load of CDs with stuff on it but the formatting was funny on this danish type disks :/

I still have them though im hoping to get something done with them. We tried emailing the fiels to each other but it took so long that it was impractical.
Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

yeah a compressed bossfight of decent quality will eat about a GB of space. Which should be uploadable overnight to summat like dropbox, though I'd love to see a cheaper alternative.

What I use is pretty straightforward sir Darsid. Just fraps really. If you have decent framerates during raids (above 30) you should be able to record. Fraps does hardly take any system resources, the bottleneck will be your harddrive.

If you have a spare disk (phyiscal) with nothing on it, you can use this benchmarking tool (the green one Crystaldiskmark)to see how fast your read/write is. If it's not high enough (in my case it's not high enough, I'd lag if I were to record 1080p in 30fps) there are a few options.
Spare money, or anything in Raid0 would work. Easy. Now I'm a student, I don't really have the spare money bit so I had to find something else.

My first thought was recording directly into my RAM and then moving the segments one by one using a tool like RAMdisk. Doesn't work cause fraps only unlocks the segments after the complete recording.
Then I started looking a bit deeper into the internets and found out someone made a program called fancycache. Allows a part of your RAM to emulate the cache memory of a HDD. That program is quite brilliant. Since fraps thinks it's writing directly to the hdd you don't have the lock issues, but you do have a buffer for recording stuff. You record into RAM and your RAM is being emptied again as fast as your harddrive can write. I found 3 GB of RAM allocated to my fraps drive to be enough for a 20 minute recording without frame drops. Tool I use for that is FancyCache. It's still in beta, and I would never ever let it near my OS harddrive, but it gives my 5 year old 160GB drive enough of a buffer to record properly, which is all I want it to do.

Yes it will speed up your normal drive too, but there's no protection in RAM, any loss of power or shit like that means game over, data that was in cache is gone. Also do note it will slow your shutdown if there's still data in the cache.

So, if you have decent fps in raids (above 30, I'm recording at 30) just find yourself an old empty drive and record onto that. If your drive is too slow FancyCache may give you enough of a buffer to still record bossfights.

Now I'm gonna break my head over a method of sharing. Input more than welcome (questions about stuff too!)

Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

For those wondering about fancycache...
Here's the normal benchmark of my hdd. The write speed is the one we're after, it's 5 chunks of 4GB. Making it a 20GB write. About your average bossfight.
Forum Image

Then I applied these settings:
Forum Image

Here's the result. The high read speed is because the chunk of data that should be read hasn't been written to the physical drive yet during the first two reads, and a read from RAM is stupidly fast. Throwing off the average read speed.
Forum Image

_Hyperion_
No Life

I will be having soon this!!!!

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

But i am not sure how i can make the stuff work on pc, i will buy it for ps3 and xbox. Also i have no eta for it. Got other stuff to pay first.
Ambú!
Traveler
No Life

I'm up for this.
How do you compress the files to mp4?
Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

If you have the codec, you can use anything you want tbh. From a fancy adobe studio thing to VLC media player.

Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

And thanks to google with their google drive attaching to gmail we can now send shit that's up to 10 GB.

thanariangun

depends which format you want to record, 10 mans arent bad, my system is as follows, phenom 2 oc to 3.99 GHz, 4 gb ram, win 7 pro, amd 5770 card, 2 hard drives, 1 drive with win 7 and wow and the 2nd drive and as omf says physical drive, not partitioned which has fraps on it plain and simple, was able to record 10 mans on my videos at 1080 at 60fps consistent, if you have around my hardware you can record 10 mans just fine, must add, fraps settings were full size and no sound included, though i have recorded sound before, its actually hell since you need to do massive amounts of tweaking with your sound settings to get the volume in the videos just right, 25 mans, well means you are rich if you can :P

also, isnt there already a thread about frapsing from me on these forums?
Onemanforest
Onemanforest
Custodian
Forum crawler

No clue, I just want to do it with many raiders. And I thought I'd supply the tools to remove (or at least improve) the most likely bottleneck out there. I'm doing 30 cause of my drive limitation. (can't be bothered moving my entire system/game install from ssd to rip it apart with recordings) 90MB/s seems like a decent write speed for a drive with over 16k hours active :P (5.4k RPM sir thannington, to give you an idea of the impact of this fancycache shit)

25mans 30 fps aint too hard really. Fraps aint that big an impact as I expected. It just holds your entire pc if it's bottlenecked. Any half decent quad core with a half decent graphics card should be quite capable of spitting out 30 fps on decent settings. Will just have to cut around the framedrops :D

Loudor
Augur
"Special"

fyi.... dropbox is pants :P can only upload files that are tiny vid clips so a 1gb file would require someone paying for it

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nothing Else Matters Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum